Pastrami Sandwich & Smashed Baby Reds
Make the perfect pastrami sandwich and side of smashed baby reds!
Recipe reposted with permission from Recipe Vlogger HangryQ.
- Pre-cured Corned Beef
- Seasoning Mix
- Ground Coriander
- Spicy Mustard
- Rye Bread
Smashed Baby Reds
- Baby Red Potatoes
- Prep Time: 20-25 minutes
- Cook Time: 3.5 - 4 hours
- Meat Internal Temp: 250-300 degrees
- Skill Level: Easy
- 3-4 servings
Preparing the Meat
- Rinse the meat to wash away extra salt from the packaged brine.
- You will need to secure the meat by daisy-chaining the hooks. Use two hooks in one row, or four cooks in two rows.
- Sprinkle on ground coriander and pepper to taste along with the corned-beef seasoning that came with the meat.
Prepare the Barrel, Hang the Meat
- Once lit according to the manufacturer's instructions, return the barrel back onto its base.
- Close the lid and let it sit for a few minutes.
- If using the 18C, place the O-grate or Full Grate in the middle section and the H-Frame on the top section. Hang the meat from the H-Frame.
- If using the 14D, place the Full-Grate or Open Frame with a single Half Grate in the middle section and the H-Frame in the top section. Hang the meat from the H-Frame.
Place Potatoes in Barrel
- After the meat has cooked for about 3-4 hours and the internal temp is around 175-185, place the potatoes.
- If using the 18C O-Grate, you can place the baby red potatoes around its perimeter.
- If using the 14D, place the baby red potatoes on the grate.
- Smoke the baby reds for about an hour to an internal temp of 210.
Finishing the Potatoes
- Once the baby reds are tender, pull them from the barrel. Place them on a baking tray or foil tray, smash them with a fork. Place some butter, salt, and pepper to taste.
Returning the Potatoes to the Barrel
- Once the potatoes are seasoned, place them back into the barrel on a baking tray or foil pan, for about 20-25 minutes.
Slicing the Corned-Beef
- Let the corned-beef rest and cool for about 20-30 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
- Slice thinly and serve warm with all the fixings!
It is important to follow the easy lighting instructions. When the cooker is lit correctly, it operates at the correct temperature for the entire cook.